Thursday 14 August 2014

A Quick Review

I managed to finish "Death to The French" by C.S Forester on my lunch break today. I thought that a quick review would make a nice and short post.

It was a very quick book to read and a good size for a lunch time read. You can certainly see parallels with Bernard Cornwall's "Sharpe" novels and this is more than just sharing the same coloured jacket. I would however suggest that the main protagonist Matthew Dodd is more amusing than Richard Sharpe. They both share a strong sense of duty and honour and they both perhaps have more than their fair share of close calls.

The pace of the book is good and always keeps moving along. This is even the case where the view point switiches between Dodd's view and the main French protagonist Sergeant Godinot. The author occasionally makes a modern reference to something a character does and at first I found this a little distracting. However I warmed to these little asides as I went on.

Overall I would give this an 8 out of 10 and certainly recommend this to anyone who likes the Sharpe series of novels or a good adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment